Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day 2014

This is the first year in my life that I will be out of the United States on July 4. However, I wanted to post an entry today to recognize Independence Day for my native land. It is interesting that when I am traveling abroad, I find folks tend to wear their national heritage with a bit more pride on a day to day basis. Americans only seem to get fired up about being American in times of conflict with external foes. I am pretty much the same way I guess. Perhaps this is because I tend to focus on what is wrong with my country and this all too often overshadows the positives in our approach, in our politics, in our freedoms. So today I intentionally give thanks. I hope that all of my fellow countrymen find a few moments of quiet to recognize and to appreciate what we have.