Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Premonition

Now that the days are starting to get longer again, I find it very refreshing to finally have a bit of sunlight still present when I pull into my driveway at the end of the work day. For several months, it was full-on dark before 5:00 p.m.. Well the other day I got home at about 5:15 p.m. and as I was walking up the sidewalk to my front door, I had the most kooky feeling that something was amiss in my front yard. I don't know what I sensed, but my feelings were strong enough that I stopped and gave a quick inspection. Something just seemed different, like something that was once there was now gone. I even got a little bit light-headed (like millions of voices suddenly cried out and were gone). After satisfying myself that I was just tired, or perhaps that I was clinically insane and visions are a typical side effect, I shook it off and went inside. After I set down my briefcase and my lunch box, I decided to walk out back for a few moments to just unwind. That is when my mind was blown.

As I walked off my deck I looked at the area beneath my bedroom window and found that one of my nice ornamental trees had snapped at its base and gone down. I don't often have premonitions or claim to have any relations with dryads or earth spirits, but this was a weird moment. Perhaps all this serves to tell me that I should buy a bandanna and embrace a gypsy lifestyle. If that doesn't pan out, I could try to find employment in a booth at the county fair guessing people's weight.