Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Observations 1

Since I started writing this blog back in 2008, I have become much more observant of the world around me. Because I am always on the look out for interesting and relevant things to write about, I have learned to pause and reflect on the people, events, and happenings around me. Things that I would have sloughed off and not given a second thought about before, you will see me pondering and surveying. Actually, I think that this awareness is one of the benefits of this blogging hobby of mine. So with this stated, I thought that I would begin a new regular blog series entitled "Observations", where I would share things that I have noted with wonder, curiosity, or dismay.

The seed for the first entry in this series germinated as a result of a recent drive through town as I was out on some errands. For some reason I started to take note of businesses that seemed to be everywhere that either didn't exist or were not that common even a few short years ago. Along my 30 minute drive I noted at least half a dozen of the following establishments:
  • Mattress retailers - now seemingly located in every strip mall.
  • Car title loan outlets - twice I noticed two competing outlets at the same intersection. These semi-shady quick-cash marts are popping up everywhere.
  • Health clinics - you cannot drive more than a mile without spotting at least one.
  • Drug stores - these have just run rampant. Multiple instances of two drug store chains with stores at the same intersection. They are as common in my area as gas stations.
  • Cell phone outlets - every major provider has their own store, with multiple instances of two within the same strip mall.
I find it fascinating how whole industries can bubble up out of nowhere and become essentially ubiquitous, commonplace, and accepted as part of the fabric of our cities and towns on such a short time scale.