Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mindset 14

In the Mindset series I reminisce about some of my favorite memories of my daughter's life when she was younger. I hope that the task of writing these entries will serve me well, and I hope too that you will enjoy going on this trip with me.

Today's journey takes us back to all of our time together reading Highlights magazine. My daughter has had a subscription to this monthly magazine for kids for as long as I can remember. One of the cool things for me is that Highlights magazine was something that I enjoyed looking at when I was a kid. All of the features that I enjoyed are still there today, Hidden Pictures, Jokes & Riddles, The Timbertoes, What's Wrong, Brain Play, and the short stories. My daughter has very much enjoyed having something delivered in the mail with her name on it. With each new issue, we would sit down together and pore through it from cover to cover. In these times together we have shared countless laughs, learned a thing or two, and been inspired by lots of stories and ideas that sparked our imaginations. I guess that it has just been a part of growing up for my little one. With our most recent renewal for another year of Highlights, we agreed it would be our last. My daughter has now outgrown this magazine, but I know she still enjoys our time together with each new issue. Today as she has developed a love of reading and pours through one book after another, I would bet that Highlights magazine has certainly played an important role in helping her to develop a love for reading.