Friday, June 26, 2009

Pinkies Up

People look at me and immediately form opinions about what I must watch when I turn on the television. Because of my high level of education and my occupation, people automatically assume that I enjoy Masterpiece Theatre (note the erudite spelling of "Theatre") while munching piping hot scones and drinking Earl Grey tea from a fancy porcelian service whilst my pinky is pointed straight upwards. These same folks probably also just assume that I speak with a snooty, European-sounding accent that brings to mind summers in Tuscany or crisp fall days reclining on the Champs-Elysees. Of course these people, to the best of my knowledge, have never peeked in my windows at night while I am laying on the couch in my ripped and possibly off-color underwear, scratching randomly, and covered in a fine layer of cheese dust from having scarfed down a bag of cheddar poofs. Clearly not the picture that matches most folks perception of me and my tastes. You know what, that's just fine. Shows like Married with Children, Family Guy, South Park, or even Spongebob Squarepants make me laugh and I don't have to think too hard. I'm not embarrassed to admit that these shows resonate with me and make me chortle and release deep-seated stress accumulated throughout the day. Furthermore, I don't have to go to the bother of having to prepare scones with their overt savory fillings or adopting a European lifestyle.