Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Joy of Food

Someone I knew once said regarding his favorite dish, "It's so good you just can't help but eating it". Enjoying our food, transforming our lunches and dinners into long-remembered occasions and experiences, is one of the perks of being a human with a well-defined palette. Sour, sweet, savory, bitter, salty. Oh what wonderful combinations of tastes and textures and smells we can whip up. Just the thought of our favorites can cause our mouths to start watering in anticipation. I believe that I can almost taste these favorites if I think and imagine hard enough. I have been pondering on some of my all-time favorite dishes. These include:
  • Spaghetti and garlic bread;
  • Lasagna with meat sauce;
  • Chicken dijon served on a bed of rice;
  • Chicken marsala;
  • Stuffed pork chops;
  • Bacon and onion quiche;
  • Filet mignon wrapped in bacon and smothered in mushrooms.
I have cooked a lot of dinners in my day. One thing that I am certain of is that food always tastes better when we share it with those that we love. When I am making dinner just for myself, my feeling is, the quicker the better. I will slap something together or grab leftovers from the fridge (sometimes not even bothering to heat them up). However, when I am making dinner for my family or friends, stand back. Man can I concoct some wonderful goodies. Cooking with and for others simply transforms a chore or task necessary for survival into something so much more. So, think about some good dishes that you know how to make and dive in, prepare and enjoy them with folks you know and love.