Monday, October 27, 2008

Reading (Argh)

I am allegedly a highly educated man.  I have a Ph.D. in nuclear physics and know lots of big words and can even use them correctly in a sentence.  The embarrassing truth, which I have finally owned up to, is that I do not like to read.  There I said it. (Pause for gasps from the readers).  I was doing fine living like this, minding my own business. I wasn't hurting anyone. Then someone in my small group encouraged me earlier this year to read a particular book, and then another, and then another.  Dang, now I have read over 20 real books this year (where a real book is one that has more words than pictures).  The worst part of it all is that I now look forward to finding some quiet time to read and get lost either in a good work of fiction or non-fiction.  I am reading like there is no tomorrow and actually enjoying it.  What will the neighbors say?