Tuesday, October 28, 2008

From Both Sides Now

Over the past few months I have read two books that were fascinating to me. Both are well written, dynamic, engaging, and quite deep. However, the point that fascinates me is the very different perspectives from which these two books were written. The first book is called The Shack by William Young and the second is The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. While one must be guarded against taking either work too literally (as they are both fiction), they have really helped me to understand the approach of God and Satan much more clearly. In The Shack, we get an up close look at how the holy trinity works in the life of every person and we get some insight into the differing roles of the father, son, and holy spirit. In The Screwtape Letters we can gain some understanding of how the master tempter tries to pervert us and redirect us toward sin and away from grace through his minions. Both books are very much worth your time. When reading The Shack my eyes were rarely dry and I felt filled with the holy spirit who was working to advance the "learning moment" (an educator's term) that was before me. When reading The Screwtape Letters I kept thinking "how devilishly clever" the enemy is in their approach.