Tuesday, June 23, 2015

In the News 14

While I have not touched an actual newspaper in some time, I do skim through the online news headlines each day. There is always something that catches my attention, whether it involves human conflict, a human interest piece, the sports wrap, or just the usual absurdities. In this series, I carve out a space for my opinions, reminiscences, or comments.

Cleveland Indians - Adriana Aviles is the 4 year old daughter of the team's shortstop Mike Aviles. The Aviles family was handed the devastating news that Adriana has leukemia and will have to go through a full course of treatments including chemotherapy, which would quickly cause all of her hair to fall out. All of
Mike's teammates and coaches then chose to shave their heads to support Adriana and her family. An absolutely lovely jesture. This story appeared in the news on May 27, 2015.

Phineas and Ferb - Throughout my entire life I have been a fan of cartoons on T.V.. They have a way of helping me to relax and to find my smile. A newer addition to my favorites is the Disney Channel show, Phineas and Ferb, about two step-brothers who look to make each day the best day ever. Not only are they clever, witty, and fun-loving, they are always looking to stand up for their friends and spread joy to those around them. My daughter and I have shared more than a few laughs and good moments while watching the show. Kudos to Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh for their wonderful imagination and for bringing these characters to life. The last episode of Phineas and Ferb aired on June 12, 2015.