Monday, March 9, 2015

Observations 83

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • Have you ever made time-critical decisions based on a watch that had stopped a-tickin' due to battery issues? Who wants to groan along with me?
  • One of my colleagues came to work wearing a trench coat. That made me think, who would wear something so cumbersome whilst crawling around in a trench? Perhaps this is one of them there oxymorons.
  • Have you ever come across a telecast on TV of a non-standard sport like cricket, soccer, curling, or tile grouting and listened to the announcers? Is it almost comical the passion that they exude for an activity that nobody really cares about with people that nobody has ever heard of before.
  • I was working a crossword puzzle and got stuck on the clue "historical sewer". I racked my brain and kept coming up blank until I realized that "sewer" did not refer to a conveyance for water and waste but to a person who sews with needle and thread.
  • For me, I would count my life as officially over if I ever, of my own free will, bought a pair of wingtip dress shoes.