Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Observations 63

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • I always find it odd when sports commentators who have never played a competitive sport and are clearly not gifted athletically, can sit there and smugly rip apart the play of athletes.
  • I was in a bathroom recently outfitted with one of those automatic faucets. The trouble was it only dispensed about a tablespoon of water with each squirt. If you had soaped up your hands it would have taken 15 minutes to finally get them rinsed off.
  • At work they replaced a light in the men's room that had been burnt out for as long as I can remember. Now the harsh light really brings out the pee stains that mark the walls and the floor around the urinals.
  • I recently waited in line at the grocery store behind 3 obviously very impaired men, two were older and one was in his early 20s. They looked absolutely horrible, wizened, wrinkly, gaunt, and stooped. Everyone around me thought that the scene was amusing. I could only think of the wasted lives.
  • There is an idiom about developing an idea to maturity where you say that you are going to "flesh things out". There is a guy at work who instead says "flush things out". Perhaps that is pretty much the same thing.