Saturday, October 30, 2010

What's Up Doc?

Today's post is about gaining insight into ourselves through vegetables ...

Most every day for the past year I have placed a small container of baby carrots in with my lunch. My regular fare includes a sandwich or tortilla wrap, a small yogurt, and my carrots. Well, after a while, I started to question myself regarding the inclusion of the carrots in my lunch. I started to gripe and complain and grouse that every day I prepare for myself the same old thing. Day after day after day.

Where is the variety? Why not mix things up and try something new? So I did. I replaced my carrots with an apple, ..., for a day. You know what? It was then that I realized how much I missed my container of carrots. The very next day they were back. Ahh, the comfort of the usual and the known, even when we try to push it away, our hearts ache when it is gone. There is a noticeable absence, a feeling of loss. What's up doc?