Saturday, March 20, 2010

Alas, Recycle!

I have a proposal for you to consider. Ready? .... Come on, come on! ... O.K., here goes. If there is a recycle bin within 2 feet of a trash bin and you place obviously recycleable materials in the trash bin, two goons (we'll call them Moose and Rocko), get to stuff you in the trash can. I can't tell you how many times I come across this situation. A stack of corrugated cardboard boxed thrown into the trash dumpster when there is a cardboard dumpster positioned immediately aside. A ream of waste paper tossed into the trash can when there is a paper recycling bin attached to the trash can! I sickens me inside how irresponsible people can be with their own world. What is going on here? Even when it is made as simple as could be. Are we ignorant? Are we uneducated? Are we selfish? Are we oblivious to what we are doing (or not doing)?

I don't know about you, but I try to do what I can. I remove those cardboard boxes and put them into the appropriate dumpster. I grab that stack of paper and put it into the recycling bin. However, I cannot be a full-time policeman, roaming the highways and byways of our nation doing for people what they should instinctively do for themselves and others. But what gets me even more is when people put their regular trash into the recycling bin. This guarantees that the whole bin will have to put into the landfill or sent to the incinerator. Come on fellow humans! This wonderful planet of ours is not disposable. Please, at least make an effort. Think, be aware.