Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Great Movies

I have never been one to go along with the crowd. As everyone else jumps off the cliff because all of their friends did, I sit quietly in my house, munching "healthy" snack-type food and maintaining vigilance against the aliens that are amassing themselves just outside the Andromeda galaxy waiting for their opportunity to swoop down and take over the Earth. Hah. Good times, good times. Actually, while this is only partly true, I was hanging ten on Al Gore's internetTM the other day and I stumbled upon a list of the highest grossing films of all time. This list includes:
  1. Titanic
  2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  6. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
  7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  9. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  10. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Perusing this list, I am sure that most folks have seen at least half of these movies. Maybe even some true theatre afficianados (not the euridite spelling of "theatre") have seen the full list. Well good for you, you are truly special. Truly special. What does it say about me that I have seen none of them on the big screen? Am I some sort of kook? While everyone else is gathered around the water cooler swapping stories and discussing the amazing special affects and dialog, I am slinking about in the shadows looking for an opportunity just to get a simple drink of water.